The municipality of Camaguey is located east of the central portion of the country, between 20°27’, 22°29’ of north lattitude and 78°00’, 78°10’ of west longitude. It is characterized by its orthogonality and wide tree-lined streets.
This province has the most extensive flat terrain in Cuba. The former Santa Maria del Puerto del Principe village, the present Camaguey, was founded on February 2nd, 1514, in the Eastern coast of the country, in Punta de Güincho (Nuevitas). The locals subsequently moved to a healthier and more habitable place, close to Caonao's chieftainship. With time, they finally settled down the village in the current Mediterranean location.
In Camaguey city, there is a total of 9,891 buildings; 4,042 of which have a high heritage value. The city center has a 330-hectare area, and it is one of the most extensive in the country. Thanks to the effort, love, preservation and defense spirits regarding its built-up heritage, both authorities and people have showed their culture, intelligence and high
regard towards their historic city. These unusual circumstances concur on its irregular urban layout and the historic temples of legendary Camaguey, reasons for which UNESCO's experts committee passed the Quebec Declaration on July, 2009 awarding part of the city's oldest portion with the World Heritage condition.
The unsymmetrical urban design resembles a maze, and a spider web in some other places, where any novice passer-by could get lost. Although the city has grown considerably, it keeps the original nature that in general, provides this Cuban city with an austere and stately bearing for it is among the towns that best keep their colonial atmosphere and architecture. The city's famous "tinajones" can be found everywhere, essentially as decorative features. It is worth mentioning, though, that the use of such containers goes back to days gone by, when these huge earthenware receptacles were used to store rainwater coming down from the roofs' gutters.