Radio Cadena Agramonte
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Thursday, October 4, 2018

Many victims remain under rubble after earthquake in Indonesia



Jakarta, Oct 4. -Many victims continue today under the rubble in the Indonesian island of Celebes, after the earthquake and tsunami that hit the region, while the official death toll amounts to 1424.

During a televised press conference, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesperson for the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), reported that another 113 people are still missing six days after the disaster.

The number of deaths increased by 17 people more compared to the count on Wednesday, the injured amount to 2549 and there are more than 70 thousand people displaced in 141 shelters on this island located in the central region of the archipelago.

The spokesman said that more than a thousand bodies have been buried in mass graves and that the priorities now are the distribution of aid between the survivors and the reconstruction tasks of Celebes, island known as Sulawesi among the Indonesians.

The Indonesian leader, Joko Widodo, acknowledged that the logistics distribution for the victims of the catastrophe needs to be improved, presidential spokesman Bey Machmudin said Thursday.

Around 200,000 people require urgent assistance after the tragedy in Celebes, according to the United Nations humanitarian office and among them tens of thousands of children need medical attention, food and care.

The survivors are fighting thirst and hunger, and local hospitals are overwhelmed with the number of wounded, he added.

Authorities reported that 29 countries and four international organizations have offered assistance, and the BNPB has so far accepted the offer from 17 nations that will help with transport, generators, tents and water treatment.

Each year about seven thousand telluric movements of varying intensity occur in Indonesia, an archipelago of 17,000 islands located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, an area of great seismic and volcanic activity. (Taken from Prensa Latina)